Adding mouthwash to your daily regime can add quite some benefits to your oral health. Besides giving you fresher breath, toothpaste contains antibacterial properties that can fight bad bacterias in the mouth to prevent many dental problems. It can also clean up the bacteria that brushing and flossing can miss. Listerine and other products contain thymol, eucalyptol, methyl salicylate, and menthol that prevents plaque and gingivitis along with other dental diseases. Mouthwash can also whiten the teeth providing you with a shinier smile!
Various flavors of mouthwash are available in the market such as daily-use formulas, herbal, etc. One can quickly pick one according to one’s taste. But the ones containing fluoride in them are better options as It strengthens the gum and teeth and helps fight tooth decay.
Before we jump into knowing the benefits, let’s take a look at the different types of mouthwashes available in the market.
Desensitizing mouthwash: This type helps those who are suffering from sensitivity. It contains Arginine which claims to seal the sensitive sites’ dentinal tubules.
Fluoride Rinse: This type of mouthwash will give you protection against tooth decay.
Cosmetic mouthwash: To have minty and fresh breath, you can try Cosmetic mouthwash. But you should know that it only masks the bad breath instead of removing the bacteria that’s causing it.
Whitening mouthwash: Whitening your tooth needs bleaching agent which is present in Whitening mouthwashes.
Anti-plaque mouthwash: Need something to prevent gingivitis? Buy Anti-plaque mouthwash today.
1. Prevents plaque build-up: Honestly, a bottle of mouthwash cannot do anything to the pre-existing plaque that you have. But it can help in avoiding the plate to form in the first place. The dish is a gradual build-up of dirt and bacteria in the teeth that slowly decays the teeth and enamel. Mouthwash stops the growth of such dirt and particles protecting the teeth from such plaque.
2. Eliminate lousy breath: A horrible breath can be the cause of a severe uneasiness throughout the day. A mouthwash containing mint aids in removing this miserable breath formed due to foul bacteria in the mouth.
3. Whiten teeth: Some formulas of mouthwash whitens teeth.
4. Removing tartar: The hardening of plaque is called tartar. It harms teeth in the same way as the plate does. Mouthwash can prevent the growth of tartar also.
5. Gingivitis: Using an anti-bacterial mouthwash can help reverse the painful effects of gingivitis, a gum disease. It helps in reducing the inflammation and bleeding of the gum.
6. Heal canker sores: Rinsing the mouth with mouthwash targeting the canker sore can heal it by detoxifying the area.
Along with the benefits of mouthwash, there are some disadvantages too. Children under ten should not use mouthwash. Tubes of toothpaste can be harmful if ingested. So it should be kept away from children. It can sometimes irritate canker sores. Using a bottle of mouthwash too often can decay teeth also. Besides, mouthwash hides the rancid odor of the mouth. So if you have an underlying oral disease, you should better first visit a dentist.
Mouthwash improves your overall oral hygiene. Some people use it before brushing to loosen up the particles before brushing. Thus it becomes easier to clean. While many people also use mouthwash after their brushing and flossing regime to end up with flawless cleanup. Both the ways are very beneficial.